For the first time for Singapore, a total of five engineering projects across multiple industries clinched the prestigious ASEAN Outstanding Engineering Achievement Awards 2015 presented at the Conference of the ASEAN Federation of Engineering Organisations (CAFEO) held in Penang on 25 November 2015.
Presented by AFEO, the annual awards pay tribute to engineering achievements that have demonstrated outstanding engineering skills and made significant contributions to the engineering progress and the quality of life in ASEAN. All winning projects from Singapore this year had been selected by IES for this award from amongst the IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards 2015 recipients.
“IES is proud of our local engineering teams for bringing honour not only to themselves, but to the Singapore engineering fraternity. The winning of five awards adds jubilation to Singapore’s 50th birthday and recognises the remarkable engineering work being conducted in Singapore,” said Er. Chong Kee Sen, President of IES, who led a 33-member contingent to represent Singapore at CAFEO.
The five winning projects are:
- Speak to Me in My Language by A*STAR, Institute for Infocomm Research
- Towards Better Living and Greater Sustainability through “Smart Planning”- Urban Environmental Modelling (UEM) by Building Research Institute, Housing & Development Board
- Jurong Rock Caverns by JTC Corporation
- Innovative Hybrid Membrane Dehumidifier (MD)-Indirect Evaporative Cooling (IEC) System For All-Weather Air-conditioning Without Compressors by National University of Singapore & King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Samwoh Eco-Green Building – First Building in the Region Constructed Using Up to 100 percet of recycled concrete aggregate by Samwoh Corporation Pte Ltd
The event also saw the conferring of the AFEO Honorary Fellowship title upon five eminent persons from Singapore, in recognition of their outstanding services, greatness of spirit, integrity and devotion to the engineering profession, IES and Singapore. They are:
- Prof. CHEONG Hee Kiat, President, SIM University, Singapore
- Mr. Brian CHANG, Chairman, Blue Capital Pte Ltd
- Er. ONG See Ho, Deputy Chief Executive Officer (Building Control), Building and Construction Authority
- Er. NG Say Cheong, Director (Upgrading Construction Management), Building Quality Group, Housing & Development Board
- Er. TANG Kin Fei, Group President & CEO, Sembcorp Industries Ltd
IES represented Singapore at the 33rd Conference of the CAFEO held in Penang from 23 to 26 November 2015. Since 1982, the annual CAFEO has been hosted with rotation by 10 ASEAN member countries including Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar.